Group 3

Changes to Victorian disability tenancy legislation

In Victoria, regulation of specialist disability accommodation (SDA) will soon become part of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

SDA is housing paid for in NDIS plans for those who are eligible. This change will affect Victorians who need SDA, residents  living in SDA, and SDA providers.

Consumer Affairs Victoria will regulate the new provisions for SDA in the Residential Tenancies Act 1997Under the new provisions, all SDA housing must:

  • Meet National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) requirements, and
  • Be enrolled with the NDIA (‘SDA enrolled dwellings’)

There are 2 types of SDA agreements that SDA residents and providers can enter in to:

  • An SDA residency agreement (which gives the resident extra rights and protections)
  • A residential tenancy agreement (which gives the SDA resident the same rights as anyone renting a standard property)

SDA residents and providers must have one of these agreements in place within 6 months of the new laws starting.

The new regulations specify that certain information must be explained to SDA residents in away they are likely to understand.

For all the details, see the Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

Share it on

Leave a Comment

This site uses User Verification plugin to reduce spam. See how your comment data is processed.