The Hospital to Home service (formerly the Housing Brokerage service) is designed to:
- Support the discharge of people with disability from hospital to housing that aligns with their needs and preferences
- Prevent young people with disability being discharged to aged care
- Assist health teams and supporters to understand the types of housing available, and the eligibility and evidence requirements
- Provide an evidence base to inform the development of policy and new housing options
The service adopts a rights-based approach that incorporates principles of choice, control and inclusion for people with disability.
The Hospital to Home service has now re-opened for referrals nationally.
For Victoria (Pathways to Home program)
The Summer Foundation is working with the Victorian Department of Health on the Pathways to Home Program, a transitional care program for people with disability who no longer have a medical need to be in hospital and who are facing housing related barriers to timely discharge.
For all other referrals (across Australia)
We are also accepting referrals for patients located anywhere else in Australia and for Victorian patients who are not eligible for the Pathways to Home program above.
How does the Hospital to Home Service work?
The Hospital to Home service provides support by:
- Facilitating a discussion with the person’s health team, their support coordinator, formal guardian (if appointed), and other relevant stakeholders
- Articulating the person’s housing needs and preferences and their support needs
- Creating a Tenant Summary Profile, which can be used in a search for housing
- Working with health teams to gather evidence to support favourable and timely NDIA decisions on funding applications, including reviewing and providing advice on supporting documentation
- Completing an innovative housing search for potential interim and/or long-term housing options, based on the person’s housing needs and preferences
- Presenting suitable housing options to the person, their health team and supports
If you have any questions about the Hospital to Home Service or you are unsure whether a patient is eligible for referral, please call us on 1300 817 794 or email us at email@example.com.
Please share this flyer with your networks.
The Summer Foundation acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government, the William Buckland Foundation and the W.C.F Thomas Trust, managed by Equity Trustees.
Sam shares ‘things that helped me move’
Sam has moved from a group home into an SDA apartment. Sam would like to share with others things that helped this move. “We don’t know what we could be, but it is a lot more than they expect.”
Ben’s journey to independence
Cheryl and Gary describe their son, Ben’s journey to independence.
An introduction to SDA
An introduction to Specialist Disability Accomodation (SDA)