living more independently

‘Living more independently’ means living in a house (townhouse/duplex/apartment/other) where you get to decide what you do and how you live, and you only get as much support as you need.

This guide explains how to plan for and move from residential aged care (RAC), a group home or your parents’ home into appropriate mainstream housing or Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA). It is part of a series of information resources that the Summer Foundation has prepared. It is for people with disability and complex support needs, their families and supporters, National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) support coordinators and providers.

This living more independently guide is in four parts:

  • Part 1 – Thinking about moving
  • Part 2 – Planning your move
  • Part 3 – Making it happen
  • Part 4 – Moving checklist